No /boot/kernel/kernel

FuLLBLaSTstorm fullblaststorm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 23:10:15 PST 2008

Hey all,
Recently I've been given the task to make the FreeBSD 6.0-release
server to run NAT. I've done everything as described in handbook:
copied the /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC to /sys/i386/conf/NATKERNEL, added
"options IPFIREWALL", "options IPDIVERT". Then I typed
# make bulidkernel KERNCONF=NATKERNEL
(everything was built ok, without any errors nor warnings)
# make installkernel KERNCONF=NATKERNEL
(installation was also ok)
After I rebooted my system I was shocked by getting the following
message ( The server was important production server of our company ):
FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
No /boot/kernel/kernel

the same reappeared after i typed /boot/kernel.old/kernel.
WHAT DID WENT WRONG??? Any ideas?