FreeBSD 7.0 problems

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Dec 4 21:33:34 PST 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008 19:51:59 Da Rock wrote:

<snip provided info>

> Why would I install a beta when I'm mainly interested in stable
> releases?

That's why I asked. You're not in a position to troubleshoot this problem,
since the usual suspects (wrong driver, signs of significant acpi problems)
don't apply and you'd have to really be willing to compile custom kernels,
set tunables and apply patches to get to the bottom of this.
The drm devices aren't created, and the reason for that is unclear. Nothing in
dmesg shows a failure.

The iwi problem could be signal strength, driver related or the fact that 7.0
uses SCHED_4BSD instead of the proven better working SCHED_ULE.
And when reporting bugs in the PR system, the first thing developers will ask
you is if you reproduce it on 7.1-BETA or a snapshot. Loads of fixes have
gone into the upcoming 7.1.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.