UFS partitioning

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Dec 4 07:54:26 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:57:45PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 20:55 -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> > Da Rock writes:
> >
> > >  Excuse my nose in here- I just have a couple of questions.
> > >
> > >  1) It IS possible to boot from a dedicated disk?
> >
> > 	Yes.  Can't remember the last time I used anything else.
>
> So you've never booted from a disk that has been partitioned as a file
> system?

You are getting your terms scrambled here.
Partitioning has nothing directly to do with creating a file system.
You can build a filesystem (with newfs) on just about any piece
of disk whether it is the whole disk, a slice of the disk or a partition
of a slice.

Making one of those divisions bootable is also pretty much an
independant operation too, though as far as I know, only whole
disks and slices can be made bootable but not partitions - the
fact that the partition contains the system files is not what
makes it bootable.   Being bootable is dependant on the boot sector
which gets the control from either the BIOS or an MBR and then finds
the system partition (/), mounts it (Read Only) and finds system files
and starts those things running.

////jerry