open multiple xterms with script

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Dec 3 00:50:30 PST 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:58:52 +0200, "Aggelidis Nikos" <aggelidis.news at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your help!
>
> some additional questions:
>
> 1) is there any way to give the root password once? i tried this:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> su root -c "\
> xterm -geometry 80x25 -title 'App 1' -e 'app1' &
> xterm -geometry 80x25 -title 'App 2' -e 'app2'\
> "
>
> but i get this:
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s

su doesn't preserve the DISPLAY environment variable, so you can use one
of the following:

    sudo bash -c "xterm & xterm &"

    su root -c "DISPLAY=$DISPLAY ; export DISPLAY ; xterm & xterm &"

> i don't think i need something so complex. Is there any way to
> instruct xterm not to close after the execution of the program?

I'm not sure.  It may be possible to play shell-specific tricks that
cause `app1' to be executed as part of the shell's startup scripts.