kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko: Exec format error & fusefs-ntfs-1.2531

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 00:37:25 PST 2008

Hi people,

I can't use my maxtor basic 640gb external harddrive on Freebsd amd64 running 7.0 because when I try to load fusefs with this command, kldload /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko I get the following error:

kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko: Exec format error

Adding fusefs_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and fuse_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf and rebooting doesn't help either, because then that error message is printed on the console.

uname -a gives:
FreeBSD zouk.telfort.nl 7.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p6 #1: Thu Nov 27 13:42:17 CET 2008     rgilaard at zouk.telfort.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

pkg_info | grep fuse gives:

fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_4 Kernel module for fuse
fusefs-libs-2.7.3   FUSE allows filesystem implementation in userspace
fusefs-ntfs-1.2531  Mount NTFS partitions (read/write) and disk images

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this behavior?
I prefer to keep the external harddisk in ntfs format, although I could easily reformat it as ufs or ext3 because my whole system environment consists of bsd and linux. But I don't know if I will violate maxtor's guarantee.

So I hope someone can help me with this.

Brgds
Dino