[freebsd-questions] Looking @ upgrades mechanisms...

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Tue Dec 2 22:12:41 PST 2008

> ...  I'm trying to remember why I did not like pkg_add -r.

IIRC, one issue with pkg_add -r is that it insists on doing
everything from the remote repository, and will not bother
looking for any packages (incl. dependencies) locally first.
This makes sense for a brand-new installation where you know
there's no local repository to search -- which is probably the
use case that the author had in mind -- but can be inefficient
otherwise.  I started hacking on it a while back, but have not
had much time lately.