Uninstalling kde3 meta-port

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue Dec 2 19:18:46 PST 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:35:40 +0100
Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 08:38:02 Leslie Jensen wrote:
>
> > How would you guys uninstall a meta-port?
> >
> > I'm considering a move to kde4 but I want a clean install, so I
> > want to remove the kde3 meta-port first.
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3
> for dep in `make -V RUN_DEPENDS`; do
> 	origin=${dep##*:};
> 	portname=`make -C ${origin} -V PORTNAME`;
> 	pkg_delete -Xf "^${portname}-[0-9\.,_]+\$";
> done
> cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves
> make install
> pkg_cutleaves -xg
>
> Delete all leaves you are sure you don't need anymore, till no leaves
> are left.

If I were you I'd skip the loop at the top and just run  the
pkg_cutleaves command, delete kde3 and work down through the
new leaf-dependencies.

The loop takes out the first level of  kde3 dependencies, saving you a
few seconds in pkg_cutleaves, but also deletes x11-toolkits/qt33,
which is required by some non-kde apps such as Opera.