sshit runs out of semaphores

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 2 12:53:34 PST 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 04:54:27 Bill Moran wrote:
> > Hiya
> >
> > I recently started (trying) to use sshit to filter the many brute
> > force sshd attacks.
> >
> > However, it has never worked on my box.  FreeBSD 7.0 p1.
> >
> > This morning it would only give a message (without exiting)
> >    Could not create semaphore set: No space left on device
> >     at /usr/local/sbin/sshit line 322
> > Every time it gets stopped by CTRL-C it leaves the shared memory
> > behind, allocated.
>
> Have a look at ipcs and ipcrm, which will save you the reboots.
>
> > A side issue is that sshit will only filter rapid fire attacks, but I
> > am also seeing 'slow fire' attacks, where an IP is repeated every 2
> > or 3 hours, but there seem to be a network of attackers because the
> > name sequence is kept up across many incoming IP's.  Is there any
> > script for countering these attacks?
> > If not I'll write one I think.
>
> My approach:
> http://www.potentialtech.com/cms/node/16

I use denyhosts which adds the IP to a file called hosts_deny.ssh. It will
keep the IP for however many days you set it for so a repeat even hours later
will just get bounced.
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html