Pasting via ssh causes data loss

Eugene Pimenov libc.mail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:17:09 PST 2008

On 1 дек, 15:52, Mel <fbsd.questi... at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 10:33:17 Eugene Pimenov wrote:
>
> inetd:
> $ grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf
> #telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
> #telnet stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd
>
> Quick setup:
> remove appropreate hashmark above
> /etc/rc.d/inetd onestart

It works :( All 6060 bytes are saved.

> > I tried ssh -vvv, nothing between connect and disconnect.
>
> > It's definitely not an EOF. It just loses some part of data, doesn't
> > stop receiving after some point.
>
> Where does it get lost? Meaning, does it get over the wire? Hard to check
> encrypted, but a 3k diff should show up in number of the IP packets sent. Is
> it possible to compare tcpdump linux <-> linux vs linux <-> freebsd on the
> receiving end?

I'm on Mac OS X, so tcpdumps:

I to freebsd     http://pastie.org/327953.txt?key=zaehiz6bxcxs3rjuyfbtyq
freebsd to me http://pastie.org/327954.txt?key=autckpywar1mkngb9re0w
I to linux         http://pastie.org/327955.txt?key=klqvsd73l3flhayoykeeq
linux to me      http://pastie.org/327952.txt?key=uu1cpgleuhnctwcuqzxlw

However, I'm not sure it's helpful. I mean you can't look inside a
packet, because it was encrypted. Headers and packet size depends on
many factors. For example, if you compare linux and freebsd tcpdumps
here, you'll see that freebsd ignore packet's checksums and linux has
tcp timestamps turned off, and so on.