usb disk mount troubles under freebsd4.9

ben at electricembers.net ben at electricembers.net
Sat Aug 30 09:31:15 UTC 2008

worked fine in tests on freebsd7, but the disk failed to mount on a
production server running (ouch) 4.9 :(

Originally I simply ran newfs -L. later i tried many things like using
another box (which actually had sysinstall unlike the 4.9) and slice and
partition and label the disk over again. still, it would not mount on the
4.9 box.

I began to suspect something's changed about disk labels between versions
of freebsd, so I booted a 4.9 cd in the test server and redid the slice
and partition and label -- but the newfs command had not returned after an
hour, I quit.

I almost want to offer a bottle of scotch to whomever has the key to
getting this disk mountable, is that terrible? This is what I
had, Benjamin ::::::::::::::::::::::

# mount /dev/da0s4 /mnt/usbdisk/
mount: /dev/da0s4 on /mnt/usbdisk: incorrect super block

# fsck /dev/da0s1d
** /dev/da0s1d
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/da0s1d: INCOMPLETE LABEL: type 4.2BSD fsize 0, frag 0, cpg 0, size
1465144002

# fdisk /dev/da0s1
******* Working on device /dev/da0s1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=91200 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=91200 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63