NFS and File Over Write Performance

Derek Buttineau derek at csolve.net
Fri Aug 29 21:20:31 UTC 2008

Just curious if anyone has run into this before.  We are testing an HP
DL380 G5 Storage Server.  The odd thing I'm experiencing is when over
writing a file on the NFS share with the FreeBSD NFS client my
transfer speed is about 1/3 of what it is if I'm creating a new file
on the share.  This is all over a 1Gb link and I'm using clpbar to
monitor speeds on the copy.

 From my tests, initial file creation gets me about 89MB/s, while
overwriting gets me about 25MB/s

The same test using RHEL4 as the client gives a consistent 79MB/s for
creation and overwrite.

Seems very strange and I've tested from FreeBSD 6.2, 6.3 and 7.0, all
with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek