Problem in FreeBSD 7.x, in Xorg switching consoles.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Aug 29 12:29:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:06:26 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Joyner <chris27wjoyner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We both have the same problem.  Your right it's the clipboard buffer,
> using the middle mouse button.

Damn! (Read: Strange, I have no explaination for this.)

> Maybe It's the mouse daemon?  Do you have a USB mouse like me?  I am
> using a USB Logitec, one of the first optical mouse.

Allthough it's not obvious from dmesg, I have a Sun Type 6 USB mouse
with three buttons:

	% dmesg | grep ^ums
	ums0: <vendor 0x0430 product 0x0100, class 0/0, rev 1.00/1.02, addr 2> on uhub1
	ums0: 3 buttons.

> So right now I think it's either the mouse daemon, or Xorg.

I would say it's X.org. So many things not functioning any more...
Outputting of the edit buffer does not happen when switching the
text mode consoles.

> FreeBSD 7.x with Xorg.

FreeBSD 7 Stable, xorg-7.3_1.

By the way, could you try another thing I find problematic since
using X.org?

Setting: Switch on Num Lock first. Open an X terminal. Have an
image file available, and xzgv. Then run "xzgv -tz <inage>" from
within the terminal. When you quit xzgv with the 'q' key, Num Lock
LED will go off, but Num Lock mode will still be on. Press Num Lock
key twice, LED is there again. Now run xmms by typing "xmms", and
quit it. Same thing. And now, run "gv" and quit it. Now Num Lock
keeps on! Same with xpdf.

	Num Lock keeps on:	gv, xpdf, xvidtune, avidemux2, gmplayer

Any idea what this strange behaviour could come from?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0