Changing 'From:' address of periodic scripts

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 09:37:14 UTC 2008

Jonathan Belson wrote:
| Greg Larkin wrote:
|> Jonathan Belson wrote:
|> | Hiya
|> |
|> | I set up a remote box to e-mail 'periodic' output to me directly.  It
|> | has now
|> | stopped working, and I suspect it's because the 'From:' addresses of
|> the
|> | status
|> | e-mails is of the form 'root at mybox.local' and the ISP has upped its
|> | anti-spam
|> | checks.
|> |
|> | I see /usr/sbin/periodic itself uses the 'mail' command to send the
|> | mails, but I
|> | couldn't see a command line option to specify a 'From:'.  I guess
|> 'mail'
|> | uses
|> | 'sendmail' to send e-mail; is there a simple way of forcing a 'From:'
|> | address
|> | via 'sendmail' config?
|> |
|> Hi Jon,
|>
|> Have a look at this: http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html and
|> perhaps this, too: http://www.madboa.com/geek/sendmail-genericstable/
|>
|> You can rewrite root at mybox.local to appear as though it's coming from a
|> real email address by using the techniques on those pages.
|>
|> Please post back here if you run into any trouble!
|
| OK, thanks.  After playing with MASQUERADE_AS(), MASQUERADE_DOMAIN()
| plus a few FEATURES(), I've managed to change the 'From:' address for
| e-mails sent via the command line.  Unfortunately, e-mails sent via the
| cron-ed periodic scripts still don't get through, although if I run e.g.
| 'periodic daily' from the command line, the mail does reach me.
|
| The only difference I can think of is that cron runs the scripts as
| root.  Could this cause the difference?

Yes.  root is specifically exempted from all the masquerading stuff.
There's an EXPOSED_USER macro you can use in $(hostname).mc to control
that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
~                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
~                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK