Spam sent to me from my own mail server ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 05:37:31 UTC 2008

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Matthew Seaman schrieb:

>  > If you're using sendmail as your MTA, then look at
>  > implementing the following features in your $(hostname).mc:

> Would that mean a file called
>     /etc/mail/pukruppa.net.mc
> in my case? Since I get
>     # hostname
>     pukruppa.net
> or do I leave away the .net ?

It's shorthand for 'whatever you call the .mc file you generate your
sendmail.cf from.'  By default on FreeBSD it's named according to
what the hostname(1) command outputs, which should be the fully qualified domain name of your machine (ie. pukruppa.net).  You can create the
initial copies of the files by:

   # cd /etc/mail
   # make

which will create files pukruppa.net.mc and pukruppa.net.subit.mc
and then process those respectively into pukruppa.net.cf and
pukruppa.net.submit.cf

Edit pukruppa.net.mc to make any changes you want, then type 'make'
to rebuild pukkruppa.net.cf and then 'make install restart' to
copy pukruppa.net.cf to sendmail.cf (amongst other actiosn) and restart
sendmail.  In general, whenever you do anything to sendmail related config
files including stuff like aliases and access and virtusertable, run
just run make to publish it to the running sendmail process -- you only need
'make install restart' when you modify one of the .cf files.

	Cheers

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW