RPC: Authentication error

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Aug 27 18:36:20 UTC 2008

Hi--

On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:30 AM, lysergius2001 wrote:
> rpcinfo -p server results in :
> rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why =
> Client
> credential too weak
>
> ps-aux | grep rpcbind shows the rpc daemon running...
>
> /etc/hosts.allow has the names of the 3 machines on my network...
>
> Any insights would be most welcome as I am clean out of ideas... duh?

If you check the logs on the server, you'll probably see something like:

   mountd[95]: mount request from 10.0.0.20 from unprivileged port

...the mount or rpcinfo requests use a high port if run as a normal
user and that gives an error; try running these as root from a full
root-login (ie, login as root on console or use "su -l", not via sudo).

Regards,
--
-Chuck