Couple of amd64-specific questions

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Wed Aug 27 13:29:29 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I've recently got a chance to run a rather modern CPU and mobo for a
few weeks, and since the beast is 8GB worth of RAM, I figured amd64
would fit nicely in it.

After updating to HEAD to trying usual make world/kernel magic, the
following issues arised I haven't seen previously in i386:

  - SYSV{SHM,MSG,SEM} need to be compiled in kernel for 32-bit
    compatibility syscalls, despite the fact corresponding modules are
    available.  On i386, I always stripped SYSV-style IPC stuff out of
    my kernel.  Question: is it theoretically possible to build
    freebsd32 compat module standalone?  I'd rather have all compat
    stuff (linux, etc.) as a loadable modules anyways (not to mention
    that I don't want to have SYSV* options in my kernel config).

  - What are technical reasons why ACPI has to be compiled in kernel?
    Google wasn't very helpful here for me.

Thanks.

./danfe