Joy stick not being detected!

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Aug 27 04:08:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Christopher Joyner wrote:

[adding -questions back into the cc list]

 > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 > > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:55:57 +0000 Christopher Joyner wrote:
 > >
 > >  > I have a Gravis GamePad Pro hooked up to a ISA SBLive!
 > >  > emu10k1 loads, but the joy stick is not detected.
 > >  >
 > >  > I am loading the module manually, kldload joy, only loads but no feedback.
 > >  >
 > >  > Am I missing something?
 > >
 > > Try the one-line perl example in joy(4) to see if your joystick works,
 > > for some value of 'works' .. ie actually logs changing axis values and
 > > button press/release status.
 > >
 > > I don't think there's any specific support for joysticks, you pretty
 > > much have to write your own.  With what program did you hope to use it?
 > >
 > > Years ago I wrote a little rexx program that read (pseudo) joystick X,Y
 > > values and button (actually relay switch) values for detecting and
 > > controlling shutdown conditions for a simple-interface Liebert UPS,
 > > using the standard joystick / MIDI port on a couple of ISA cards.
 > >
 > > From memory it only worked right when device joy was compiled into
 > > kernel, not kldloaded - but that was way back around FreeBSD 3.3 ..
 > >

 > If I wrote my own, could I contribute it to the FreeBSD project?

If it worked, I'm sure you could :)  How many people are hanging out for
it (ie potential testers) is another matter I guess ..

 > I will try putting this into the kernel and see what happens!

If that one-line perl test works with the SBLive, you've got some hope.

 > I want to use this with an emulator, zsnes.

Does this emulator basically fire up ok on freeBSD?  I can see why the
joystick would have to work to be able to do anything useful with it.

good luck, Ian