Adapter to hook SCSI tape drive to SATA?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue Aug 26 15:27:06 UTC 2008

I have a Seagate DDS-4 tape drive hanging off a Tekram SCSI card.  I was
starting to get random hard resets whenever accessing the drive - as in
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sa0" would get me to the BIOS POST screen in
under a second - so this morning I swapped out an unused card of the
same model from another system.  Hopefully this was just a hardware
glitch and the "new" card (which is also 9 years old) will be OK.

This got me thinking, though: has anyone used any of the SCSI-to-SATA
adapters to hook a tape drive to their FreeBSD system?  More
importantly, did it work?  I'd just as soon use one of the on-board SATA
connectors as an aging boat anchor of a SCSI card if I could get away
with it.  I mean, I still use SCSI a lot elsewhere, but I'd like to
ditch it in this one specific application if possible.

Thanks!
--
Kirk Strauser