I can't make world without the "games" group?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Aug 26 08:54:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:31:22 +0200, "Redd Vinylene" <reddvinylene at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why can't I make world without the "games" group? I run a serious
> server, not a kindergarten ;)
>
> I don't want the games group there, I just don't need it!

Have you tried building with an src.conf file that includes:

    WITHOUT_GAMES='yes'

It' not a matter of `kindergarten or not', but a matter of providing a
predictable `base system' by default and all the knob and documentation
to customize it at will.  That's why you can find a lot of customization
options in the manpage of src.conf(5).

For example, on a `production server' that is a bit limited in space,
and doesn't really need compilers, debuggers, profiling tools, or three
different firewalls, I would probably build with:

    WITHOUT_CVS=yes
    WITHOUT_GAMES='yes'
    WITHOUT_GCOV=yes
    WITHOUT_GDB=yes
    WITHOUT_IPFILTER=yes
    WITHOUT_IPX=yes
    WITHOUT_OBJC=yes
    WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes
    WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=yes

I would also use WITHOUT_TOOLCHAIN=yes during `make installworld' runs,
to skip installing all the gcc, g++ and debugger tools.

The default `base system' still installs all these parts, but you are
definitely *not* obliged to always install all of them.

- Giorgos