inventory software?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Aug 26 08:21:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:01:38 +0300, Omer Faruk SEN <omer at faruk.net> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> Is there a inventory software in ports tree? What i want is to learn all hardware details (ram ,  cpu , mainboard etc. serial numbers and amount of them). I need a simple program that does this but couldn't able to find in ports tree

As long as the machines you want to list are FreeBSD, UNIX or at
least Linux, I'd suggest the following procedure (which will look
old-fashioned, but it includes the chance to learn and practice):

	1. run dmesg on the machines

	2. grep / awk for the data fields you're interested in

	3. create a CSV database

	4. add the information that can't be obtained automatically
	   (e. g. serial numers)

	5. convert the database into any format you like (e. g. XML)
	   or just run on the CSV datasets for summarizing / counting
	   informations

Yes, ugly suggestion, I know. But I think implementing this will
need less time than searching for a program to do it for you based
on trial & error. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany