FreeBSD 5.4 chroot

Mihai Donțu mihai.dontu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:20:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just installed a FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and I need a FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE
chroot to build something in it (hw shortage). All nice and dandy, until I
hit a /dev problem:

# svn up
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/project'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/project': SSL negotiation failed: SSL disabled due to
lack of entropy (https://svn.host.com)

# ls -l /dev/random
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  249,   0 Aug 25 16:19 /dev/random

# cat /dev/random
cat: /dev/random: Socket operation on non-socket

# rm /dev/random

# mknod /dev/mknod random c 0 10 root:wheel

# chmod 0666 /dev/random

# ls -l /dev/random
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  10 Aug 25 18:28 /dev/random

# cat /dev/random
cat: /dev/random: Socket operation on non-socket

Clearly, all those years of Linux chroot-ing have affected my brain, but
Google isn't very helpful either. :) Could someone, please, hint me about
what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

--
Mihai Donțu