Cloning a gmirrored hard drive

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon Aug 25 12:37:32 UTC 2008

>> Hi!
>>
>> My situation: I have a server with FBSD 7 installed with two 40 GB disks
>> in RAID 1 (gmirror) config.
>> Now I have noticed the lack of space on the drive so I am thinking to
>> change these disks for two 160 GB.
>> What is the best way to clone the main hard disk in raid 1 config? Is

gmirror remove yourmirrorname /dev/oneofdisk

shutdown and replace this one with 160GB

boot single user

make gmirror with this new 160GB drive (only one drive now so not real
mirror)

newfs and copy all data make it bootable, shutdown, remove second 40GB
drive, add second 160GB drive, boot and then

gmirror insert yournewmirror seconddrive

that's all.