Realtek RTL8111C and re(4) driver

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Aug 25 00:21:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 06:02:13PM -0600, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> cpghost wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm about to get an MSI K9A2GM-FIH mobo with an on-board Realtek
> > RTL8111C GigE adapter (I've picked that because the on-board Radeon HD
> > 3200 RS780 chip seems supported by the radeon(4x) xorg driver).
> >
> > Unfortunately, I (wrongly) assumed that the RTL8111C would be
> > supported by the rl(4) or re(4) driver, and noticed a bit too late
> > kern/123123.
> >
> > So the question: has anyone with an RTL8111C actually tried the
> > patches from this PR on RELENG_7? All I need for now is 100Mbit/s
> > Ethernet with no frills (no offloading etc...), and I'd rather not
> > sacrifice one PCI slot for an extra NIC if at all possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -cpghost.
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious to know about this.  I just put together a computer for my
> church which has this NIC built in.  I've downloaded a driver which
> claims to be for FreeBSD 5.  Has anyone here any experience with it, or
> would anyone know if it's reliable and works?
>
> The web link is:
> http://driverscollection.com/?H=RTL8111C&By=RealTek&SS=FreeBSD%205
>
> Andy

This has just been suggested here, but it looks like it wouldn't
support FreeBSD 7. Have you actually tried it? Which version of
FreeBSD are you using?

If you can use that machine you've just put together for a couple
of tests (i.e. not yet being into production), could you please
try the patches on kern/123123:

I don't have the hardware yet to test myself. I would be great
to have at least basic RTL8111C support in re(4) soon. ;)

Regards,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/