XFree86 instead of Xorg?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 24 03:14:10 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'd like to ask if there is a way to use XFree86 instead of
Xorg on FreeBSD 7 to provide basic X functionalities. A big
problem I see are the dependencies of X applications.

The reason why I ask: I've been using FreeBSD 5 and XFree86 4
for many years happily, my ATI Radeon 9000 RV250 had excellent
driver support, 3D no problems. Since I was forced to upgrade
to FreeBSD 7 due to a massive data loss, I have problems with
Xorg 7. When X is started, it takes several seconds for the display
to initialize - such an amount of time that the monitor switches
off (no signal). Furthermore, X creates system load 1.00 -- 1.50%,
this hasn't been the case with XFree86. Xorg uses the driver "ati",
the "radeon" module has been compiled into the kernel.

Of course I know that I'm using ancient hardware that I cannot
expect to run well with modern implementations of X, so I'd like
to know if there's a way to use older X stuff on FreeBSD 7.
(Sadly, the long startup of X wastes any speed improvement the
FreeBSD 7 startup offered.)

Furthermore, I'm having a problem with many of the applications
that have switched from Gtk to Gtk 2 (sylpheed, xchat, gimp)
running too slow (graphical effect delay, redrawing). My window
manager is Windowmaker, I don't do anything special.

Hardware:
	Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz, Intel Board, 768 MB SDR-SDRAM
	drm0: <ATI Radeon If RV250 9000> on vgapci0
	ATI Technologies Inc RV250 Radeon 9000/9000 Pro (AGP)

System:
	FreeBSD/i386 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 23 23:42:41 CEST 2008
	xorg-7.3_1
	xorg-drivers-7.3
	xorg-libraries-7.3_1
	xorg-server-1.4_4,1

Or just tell me that it's impossible and I should shut off and
go buy new stuff. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany