space char shell script problem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 16:17:23 UTC 2008

Polytropon wrote:

> Well, it's completely possible to create a file name like:
>
> This is my *favourite* photo from "Cats" \ by Bob & Jane / my wife ~ 2008 `musical'.JPG

Um... actually you cannot create that as a filename on UFS.  There are
precisely two characters you cannot use in a filename.  The first is
ascii NULL, which marks end-of-string.  The second, which you've
seemingly run afoul of, is the directory separator character '/'.
Everything else there is just fine and dandy though.

Of course, if you name your files in Ugaritic or Cuneiform or Klingon
or any of the other less frequently travelled UTF code pages, you'll
need to put some work in to make them display correctly in your shell...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW