Kernel Panic help.

Eric Crist ecrist at fesecurity.com
Fri Aug 22 14:58:07 UTC 2008

Hey folks,

First, please 'reply-all' as I'm not on the list.

I've got a backup server that, every night, offloads things to a
secondary, USB attached hard disk.  We've got two of these disks,
which we rotate so as to have a fairly recent off-site version, in the
event of a disaster.  One of the two drives has start to cause the
backup server to core dump and reboot.  The other works fine.  I tried
taking the problematic drive and repartitioning and reformatting it,
but the problems persist.

Here is what I get from a kgdb:

ecrist at leopard:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC-> sudo kgdb kernel.debug /
var/crash/vmcore.17
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/
libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".

Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 11d20h37m38s
Physical memory: 1011 MB
Dumping 201 MB: 186 170 154 138 122 106 90 74 58 42 26 10

#0  doadump () at pcpu.h:195
195		__asm __volatile("movl %%fs:0,%0" : "=r" (td));

Any insight is appreciated.  uname -a is:

FreeBSD hostname 7.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p3 #1: Tue Jul 15
13:53:28 CDT 2008     root at hostname:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386