Synaptics touchpad driver

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:20:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:34 PM, michael <michael.copeland at gmail.com> wrote:

> after following this from pkg-message:  the touchpad is not detected, and
> is still listed as just a mouse in the Xorg log. anyone getting something
> similar to this?
> machine is a HP DV2000, exact model is dv2225nr.
> default generic kernel from 7.0-Release.
> nvidia driver, ndis, are the only additions.
>
> ###################################
> o Add boot time tunable to /boot/loader.conf.
>  Set hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 and shutdown -r now!
>
> /boot/loader.conf ---------------------------------
> hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
>
> o Don't run moused(8) daemon.
>  Dont' set moused_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> /etc/rc.conf --------------------------------------
> moused_enable="NO"
> ############################################

I have a synaptics touchpad on a Dell Inspiron 8100 that works fine in
FreeBSD 7.0.  During the mouse device configuration of the installation
process, all I had to do was indicate that the system has a serial mouse,
and then activate it.  I learned this the hard way during a previous
installation when I indicated that I did not have a serial mouse, and the
system failed to recognize the touchpad.

Individual modules/functions of sysinstall can be run post-installation.  As
root, execute 'sysinstall', select Index, and then look for the module for
mouse configuration.

I hope this helps.

Andrew