/etc/groups gone

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Aug 21 17:33:27 UTC 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 9:05 AM, sbremal at hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there any better way of rebuilding /etc/groups than guessing and
> manually adding one-by-one.
>
> Can I somehow list all group IDs used by the file system?

You should start with /usr/src/etc/group, which is the original
version of the groups file.

For each user account added, normally a group is also created with gid
== uid.  Once you've got those back, add any users to wheel and so
forth, and then do a "find /usr -nogroup" (check other paths if
needed) to see whether you're missing something, perhaps from ports.

Regards,
--
-Chuck