Format USB stick in FreeBSD

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Aug 20 23:06:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Andrei Iarus <poni1111 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> How can I format a USB stick in FreeBSD?

The same way you can format any other disk.

I usually format my USB sticks by creating a single da0s1 slice and then
one (or more) BSD labels in that slice, by typing the commands:

        fdisk -BI /dev/da0
        bsdlabel -w -B /dev/da0s1
        newfs /dev/da0s1a

If they are going to be used by non-BSD systems, I prefer msdosfs, so I
use:

        fdisk -BI /dev/da0
        newfs_msdos /dev/da0s1

The command-line options and what they do will be more obvious if you
read the manpages of fdisk(8), bsdlabel(8), newfs(8), and newfs_msdos(8).

There is also a nice article online that you will probably find useful:

        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html