Still, no-joy with kdm......

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Aug 19 23:22:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:25:42 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	I haven't edited /etc/ttys yet; I may.  But I think something got
> 	broken [mis-CLEANED by fsck or otherwise damanaged during the
> 	weekend power-out].

When I had my big problem... haha... some structures in /, some in
/var and the whole /usr/X11R6 disappeared. Well, that doesn't matter
to me because all this stuff can easily be reinstalled (which would
be a good advice to do when you think that parts of the system may
be missing, just to be sure).

> 	It may be easier to completely remove v3 and re-install kde4.

Yes, this should leave the system in a default state where KDE4
should run fine without complaining about stuff from version 3.

> 	I'm pretty sure I was in ./root or slash when I logged in.

Display managers (xdm, gdm, kdm, wdm), when run manually, have to
be run as user root:

	Login: root
	# xdm
	# exit

X sessions started via the xinitrc command and a proper ~/.xinitrc
file should not be run as root, but from a regular user account:

	Login: bob
	% startx

To run a display manager automatically, /etc/ttys needs to contain
the correct line:

	# name  getty                           type    status      comments
	ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on          secure

For gdm, kdm and wdm, use /usr/local/bin/[gkw]dm respectively.

Finally, there's an easy way to automatically login a user (ATTENTION,
SECURITY RISK!) and start an X session for him. Therefore, /etc/gettytab
needs a little modification:

	default:\

	autologin:\
		:al=<username>:tc=Pc:

	a|std.110|110-baud:\

As well, the user's ~/.login file needs to start X; last line:

	[ -f /tmp/.X0-lock ] && startx

For this solution, xdm may not be loaded via /etc/ttys - only
one instance of X will run (except you put some extra stuff there).

But please, keep in mind that this procedure enables anyone with
physical access to the machine can click around stupidly and mess
up things.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany