Migrate harddisk with FreeBSD into new machine

C.M. Burns montiburns at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 07:29:00 UTC 2008

Dan Nelson schrieb:
> In the last episode (Aug 14), C.M. Burns said:
>
>> Dan Nelson schrieb:

>>> I was going to suggest building the buslogic driver as a module and
>>> then loading it from floppy at the loader prompt, but it doesn't
>>> look like the "bt" driver is available in module form.  Do you
>>> maybe have an Adaptec SCSI card you could use instead, at least
>>> until you can rebuild the kernel?  I know modules for those are on
>>> the install CD (newer cards will be managed by the ahc or ahd
>>> drivers).
>>>
>> I could switch to an LSI logic megaraid controller, but i have to
>> check the version when i am back at work on monday. how can i load
>> modules from floppy disk at loader prompt?
>>

> run "lsdev" to determine which bios device is your floppy (most likely
> disk0), then run "load disk0:/amr.ko".  The loader will read ufs,
> msdos, cd9660, and ext2 filesystems, so you could load the module from
> any number of sources.  I don't know if the megaraid controller will
> make your two disks visible to the host without you configuring them
> for hardware raid, though.

OK, it's monday and I'm back at work ;)
The controller is a "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT
Dual Ultra320 SCSI".
I booted into a loader prompt and entered "load amr". Result was a
/boot/kernel/amr.ko text=xxxxxx data=xxxxxx syms=xxxxxxx
so I guess the driver has been loaded successfully.

If I then enter "autoboot" to start booting, system still cannot found
root. If I enter "?" to show valid boot devices, I only get acd0
(CD-ROM) and fd0, so I think the amr.ko could not detect the controller...

any ideas? Is the amr.ko to old for this controller? is there a new one
around?

thanks!