FreeBSD 7-STABLE +Gnome +Compiz-Fusion?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Aug 17 22:39:58 UTC 2008

Hi Manolis!
   Good to hear from you - thanks for responding..,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>  Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I'm trying to get Compiz-Fusion + Gnome to work on my newly (completed
> > installation + initial upgrades last night) installed IBM T43p notebook,
> > but I'm not sure that I'm doing this right..,
> >
> > Basically, I've: -
> >
> > 1] Installed OS
> > 2] Upgraded OS to latest Stable as of (early AM) Aug 17th 2008
> > 3] Upgraded install-time ports (portupgrade, cvsup, etc)
> > 4] Installed XORG
> > 5] Installed compiz-fusion from ports
> > 6] installed gnome2 from ports
> > 7] Tried following instructions located here:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html
> >
> > I can log into Gnome desktop fine, but running the suggested cmds:
> >
> > % compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
> > % emerald --replace &
> >
> > as per the article above, doesn't appear to do anything. I mean, what
> > else
> > is there that I need to do, besides, please?
> >
> > Here's some system info:
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > FreeBSD <snipped> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug
> > 16 19:49:12 BST 2008
> > root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IRON  i386
> > $ pkg_info -a | grep -i compiz-fusion | head -3
> > compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.6.0_2
> > compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.6.0_2
> > compiz-fusion-0.6.0_1
> > $ pkg_info -a | grep -i gnome2-2 | head -1
> > gnome2-2.22.3
> > $ pkg_info -a | grep -i xorg-server | head -1
> > xorg-server-1.4.2,1
> > $
> > Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]
> >

>  The article deals with nvidia-driver only.

Hmm.., the article though, at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html,
does state "If you are using another card, that you know can handle
desktop effects, you may skip this section and continue with the xorg.conf
configuration" - maybe I read too much into that statement???

Will keep looking around some more though.., Hopefully someone else has
worked on this combitnation in the past, somewhere..,

Thanks again for responding.

Regards,

S Roberts