USB Drive Reliability

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:13:08 UTC 2008

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 6.3.  I have found that attaching and detaching
> USB drives to my box is unreliable. Is this the experience of other
> users?
>
> Regards,
> Jason

What do you mean by "unreliable"? Please give us more details.
If you unplug it while it is mounted, it will certainly result in a
kernel panic. As far as FreeBSD is concerned, this is no different than
opening the box and disconnecting your hard disk while it is running.
Other than that, I have an external USB hard disk attached to my home
server permanently. It is on all the time, it gets mounted / unmounted
by scripts once or twice a day. It's been running for about two years,
and never had any problem with it. I  started using it with FreeBSD 6.x
and is now on 7.