ext3 to ufs: filename character encoding woes

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Aug 16 08:26:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Using rsync, I copied a collection of MP3s from an ext3 partition on my
Linux F9 box to a UFS partition my FreeBSD 7 box. Many of the song titles
had accented characters, which are now displayed as two question marks (??)
on my FreeBSD system, like this:

Toquinho & Vinícius - Samba da Benção.mp3 -->
Toquinho & Vin??cius - Samba da Ben????o.mp3

Thinking that rsync might be interfering in some way, I checked the man page
and found this option to use:

-8, --8-bit-output          leave high-bit chars unescaped in output

but it makes no difference. I then tried copying a file with scp and then
just cp across an NFS share. In every case, the accents get hosed.

My Linux box is configured for UTF-8:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

I would have assumed that this would also be the default setting for
FreeBSD, but this appears not to be the case.

Googling, I came up with instructions for editing /etc/login.conf, so I
added

:charset=en_US.UTF-8:

under

default:\

exited the shell and logged in again, but no change.

What I am missing here?

Thanks.

-----
  Colin Brace