Migrate harddisk with FreeBSD into new machine

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Aug 14 20:17:37 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008 19:04:14 C.M. Burns wrote:
> Derek Ragona schrieb:
> > At 01:26 PM 8/14/2008, C.M. Burns wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I have a problem. A faulty machine was running freeBSD with a two
> >> harddisk software raid.
> >> now these two disks should be put into a new machine, but of course
> >> it won't boot because it is new hardware.
> >> Kernel just reports: cannot mount root device from /dev/mirror/gm0s1a
> >> (or sth like this).
> >>
> >> question is now, how can i add the correct driver into the initial
> >> ramdisk (if there is such a thing on bsd) so the machine finds the
> >> two drives?
> >> second question: how can i afterwards remove the software mirror and
> >> only use one harddisk from that moment on?
> >>
> >> any help is very welcom, as i have no idea about bsd. i am a linux guy
> >> ;)
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >
> > What I would do, is install FreeBSD onto a new separate hard disk.
> > Disks are cheap.  Once you get the boot disk installed you can create
> > a custom kernel if necessary to support the RAID.
>
> maybe there is a way to use the "loader prompt" to manually load the
> module? it is a buslogic bt948 controller.
> i would rather not compile a new kernel :)

It sounds like the kernel on the disks doesn't have the driver for the
buslogic bt948 SCSI controller in it.  Unfortunately, this driver is not
available to be loaded as a module either.  the GENERIC kernel comes with the
needed driver (called bt).  You don't have to compile a new kernel, but you
are going to have to replace the kernel on the disks with one containing the
needed driver (like GENERIC).   Either way, the recovery procedure involves
booting off a CD and replacing the on disk kernel.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB