Cluster Filesystem

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 13 16:57:39 UTC 2008

Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > "Rudi Kramer - MWEB" wrote:
 > > Don't forget about the HAMMER file system which Matthew Dillon over at
 > > DragonFly BSD is busy working on.  It's not 100% finished but hopefully
 > > soon and it should be ported to FreeBSD. It  looks to be pretty good
 > > (Exabytes of space?!!!?)
 > >
 > > More info:
 > >
 > > Interview with Matthew:
 > > http://cisx1.uma.maine.edu/~wbackman/bsdtalk/bsdtalk154.mp3
 > > Website: http://www.dragonflybsd.org/hammer/
 > > Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAMMER
 >
 > interesting. it mentions mirroring...but clustering? as in,
 > having a unique ( or several) namespaces that, when addressed,
 > allow you to access any of the nodes that provide storage?

Note that Matt's terminology is a little bit confusing.
What he calls "mirroring" in HAMMER has nothing to do
with RAID-1 (like gmirror), but it is rather a kind of
replication.  The "mirroring" feature allows replication
between local and/or remote file systems.  So, yes, it
is intended to support clustering.

Clustering and SSI is the main goal of DragonFly BSD,
after all.

Best regards
   Oliver

In my experience the term "transparent proxy" is an oxymoron (like jumbo
shrimp).  "Transparent" proxies seem to vary from the distortions of a
funhouse mirror to barely translucent.  I really, really dislike them
when trying to figure out the corrective lenses needed with each of them.
        -- R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer