usb-serial device

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 13 16:12:57 UTC 2008

Michael Lednev wrote:
 > Warren Block wrote:
 > > Michael Lednev wrote:
 > >
 > > > I've obtained USB thermometer and want to make it usable with
 > > > FreeBSD. It identifies itself as:
 > > > kernel: ugen0: vendor 0x4348 USB-SER!, rev 1.10/2.50, addr 2
 > > >
 > > > Under Windows it looks like standard COM-port. When I try to use some
 > > > existing drivers like ucycom or uplcom it gives no effect. How can
 > > > this device be used under FreeBSD?
 > >
 > > It appears to need the uchcom driver, which is in CURRENT but not yet
 > > in 6 or 7. See this thread:
 > >
 > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-February/040872.html
 >
 > Thanks! I'll try to examine it at the weekend.

Did you have any success?  What exactly is the name and
brand of your USB thermometer?

I'm asking because I'm also interested in obtaining an
external thermometer that would work with FreeBSD.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Whatever happened to the days when hacking started
at the cerebral cortex, and not at the keyboard?"
  --  Sid on userfriendly.org by Illiad, 2007-06-20