terminology question - upgrading one port with another

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Tue Aug 12 03:28:28 UTC 2008

On 08/11/2008 10:31 PM Jim wrote:
> I'm trying to update something (actually install KDE4), and In need to
> make an 'update chain', but I can't remember the proper term. Namely I
> have port found in 'foo/abc' (abc-12345) and want to replace it with
> 'var/xyz'. I know there are several ways to do this (one involving
> entries in a file in etc?), but I cannot come up with the proper terms
> to find what I'm looking for in a search?
> Can anyone tell me a few terms that might help with this one? I've
> tried compbinations of "port", "upgrade", "search" and "different",
> but that (unsurprisingly) isn't getting anywhere.

portupgrade --origin maybe?

 From man portupgrade:

Replace ghostscript-gnu with ghostscript-afpl:

portupgrade -o print/ghostscript-afpl ghostscript-gnu

-o / --origin was originally the option to supply a missing origin of an 
outdated package before FreeBSD 4.2, but this example shows another 
useful usage.  Use portupgrade like this, and all the depen-
dencies on the old package (ghostscript-gnu) will be succeeded to the 
new one (ghostscript-afpl) cleanly, without leaving inconsistency.

Ron Wilhoite

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list