FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Win XP on one system

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:43:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Jack Raats <jack at jarasoft.net> wrote:

> I would like to put FreeBSD, Ubuntu and WInXP on one system using a boot
> manager.
>
> Which version do I have to put first on the harddisk, which second and
> which last?
>
> I also want to know which bootmanager to use?
>

> Thanks for your time
>
> Greeting
> Jack

I would recommend installing WinXP first, then Ubuntu.  The selection of a
boot manager is a personal choice.  I think Ubuntu uses the GRUB boot
manager, which many people like.  Install FreeBSD last, being careful not to
overwrite the MBR of the hard drive.  Once FreeBSD has been installed, boot
up Ubuntu and modify the GRUB menu configuration file
(/boot/grub/menu.lst).  I found a sample of a FreeBSD entry here:

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould