Rsync

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 10 20:11:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:01:36PM +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> I have server1 of which I would like to backup some slices/directories
> to a backup server2 that in fact is a mirror of the one that I want to
> backup.
> I don't allow root logon from prompt on Server2. Can someone tell me how
> I can force rsync to backup server1 without having a root login
> permission on Server2?

You could run rsync in daemon mode on server2, then use rsync on server1
to push the data to server2. See rsync(1) and rsyncd.conf(5).

Assuming you have a module [backups] in rsyncd.conf on server2, you can
do something like this on server1 (where part1 is a partition/directory
you want to back up):

rsync -acvx --delete /part1/ server2::backups/part1

Roland