Free wireless network (access point, router, transparent HTTP proxy setup)

Brie Gordon brie.gordon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:41:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Marcel Grandemange
<thavinci at thavinci.za.net> wrote:
> Sounds To Me Also too much work for little gain...
> Easist would be to use a product called "Mikrotik" you will have that entire
> system up & running in 15mins tops.
> http://www.mikrotik.com/download.html
>
> + Runs on underspec machines perfectly as it's designed for embedded
> systems.
>
> I always found myself using it instead of doing all the work myself because
> of time constraints.
> It's linux based, but everything is done through a client.

It would be a great learning experience, though!
Squid (http://www.squid-cache.org) will do the bandwidth-limiting and
authentication. It will also make browsing faster.
The message you described sending to others sounds like a captive
portal. Squid does that, too.

(Mikrotik is awesome, too.)

--
Regards,