[OT] Re: apple mac laptop.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Aug 8 19:45:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 08:47:50AM -0400, John Almberg wrote:
> >>(And yes, while one can run FreeBSD just fine on a Macbook, Sahil is
> >>right that the question is off-topic for these lists.  :-)
> >

> >	Well, considering that they asked us (and NetBSD) for clues when
> >	they were porting OSX, it didn't seem like my post was *that*
> >	far Off! maybe a tiny bit.
> >
> >	Anyway, thanks to everybody who replied onlist and off.
> >
> >	gary
> >

> I don't think it's far OT, either, since IMHO, Mac desktops and
> FreeBSD servers are the perfect, practical combination for many
> organizations, including my own.

	This might better be asked offlist, but there may be others like
	me who are clueless, and since you are familiar, I'll ask you.
	How "interact-able" are FBSD and (say) MacBook?  E.g., is there a
	"BSD-way" of my creating an account of the Apple and using is?
	It's got @G of RAM, and a 160G drive [!].  Apple says in plain
	text that is is UNIX.  (or maybe Berkeley Unix).

	So besides the mac firewall [whatever], the laptop will be
	behind my pfSense box.  So... --and to be completely honest, the
	main reason for this >> $1000 laptop is *security*.  When she was
	younger I wasn't that concerned is some kiddie cracker learned
	that her favorite pet was a kitty.  Different now.

	Another question: can I install X11 without it bothering whatever
	kind of mac front-end windowing comes with?  Be great if I could
	admin this BSD-based computer from my office.

	thankee much!

	gary