Atheros (ath) MSI wireless embedded chipset fails to attach on 7.0-STABLE

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:13:59 UTC 2008

Edwin L. Culp wrote:

> "Alexander Sack" <pisymbol at gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> Final update, I got everything working!  I came home and connected by
>> new notebook using the latest PCIe Atheros chipset to a WPA2 network
>> using wpa_supplicant!  Yippie!
>>
>> Hope this thread helps someone else,
>>
>> -aps
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Alexander Sack <pisymbol at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Ok the trick is not to get it from the madfi project.  Get it from the
>>> author directly!
>>>
>>> If you grab:
>>>
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/ath_hal-20080528.tgz
>>>
>>> Copy the contents into the src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/* and recompile,
>>> you should now see ath attach properly to the your NIC card.  Thanks
>>> go to my friend jkim for pointing this out since he has a similar
>>> notebook/chipset and runs CURRENT successfully.  I tried using CURRENT
>>> ath but there is to much vap support in it and it turned out the
>>> 7.0-RELEASE driver works.
>>>
>>> Now ath attaches properly and I'm going to test it out!  (this is at
>>> least much further than a bad attach status code from the HAL).
>>>
>>> Let me know how it goes,
>
> Going  G R E A T  for the first time I see:
>
> ath_hal: 0.10.5.6 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, RF5111, RF5112,
> RF2413, RF5413, RF2133, RF2425, RF2417)
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5424/2424> mem 0xf2200000-0xf220ffff irq 19 at device
> 0.0 on pci5
> ath0: [ITHREAD]
> ath0: WARNING: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
> ath0: mac 14.2 phy 7.0 radio 10.2
>
> and an ifconfig ath0 shows:
>
> ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
> 	ether 00:1d:d9:27:5c:e5
> 	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
> 	status: no carrier
>
> My problem is now the no carrier, I think that I'm very close but
> still no cigar.
>
> Thanks soooooo much for your help.  Gonna bang away and the manuals
> and google to find out why, no carrier.  I have an AP a few feet away
> and iPhone works great.

Did you get this to ever work?  I am now running into the same issue.  What
had happened was I sent my notebook back to fix a plastic latch and at the
sametime work changed the wireless AP settings.  Now when the chipset comes
up I constantly get no carrier and ifconfig ath0 scan list just hangs (sits
there).

Any idea what maybe the issue?  This is highly frustrating because it WAS
working (I'm using a new 7.0-STABLE, from yesterday freshly built against
Sam's latest HAL).

Thanks!

-aps