High Availability FreeBSD www cluster

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 7 01:05:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

Michael Christie wrote:

> I want to cluster some freeBSD servers, The purpose of this is to learn.
> I would like to  run some basic services like www and mail on a test
> network. I would like to set up the servers so if one server falls over
> the other will take over the services automatically, load balanceing would
> be good as well. I have googled, I could be looking in the wrong place ,
> there seems not to be much in regard to seting up freebsd in a cluster,
> lots on linux. I have looked at the High Availability Linux project , I
> see on the front page that it will run on freebsd.
>
> So I am a bit lost and i am wanting to learn how to cluster freebsd web
> and mail servers, I have looked at  Beowulf clusters, which seem to give
> computers more grunt, Can some on on the list please advise me on what
> clustering softwhere i need to get started and if the High Availability
> Linux project softwhere will do the job.

pound (/usr/ports/www/pound) can be used on HTTP(S) level.

>From pkg-descr:

The Pound program is a reverse proxy, load balancer and HTTPS front-end
for Web server(s). Pound was developed to enable distributing load among
several Web-servers, and to allow for a convenient SSL wrapper for those
Web servers that do not offer it natively. Pound is distributed under the
GPL - no warranty, it's free to use, copy and give away.

WWW: http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

- Anders Nordby <anders at FreeBSD.org>

Regards
Peter