general questions about 7.0 and computer efficiency......

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Aug 5 18:19:35 UTC 2008

	Folks,

	Actually, I have two 'general-computer' type questions, but it
	might be better to ask them in separate posts.

	First about FBSD (6.x or 7.x) and newer vs older computers.
	First, 7.0 seems as stable or more so than its predecessor.
	It may even be faster and more efficient.  How much more
	"green" this is isn't a main question.

	But let's take my 1998 Computer each maxed out with a Gig or
	close to and having been upgraded to small 2005 drives. Would it
	make more sense from a environmental vp to buy a newer, faster
	servers with probably more efficient drives, or just buy new drives
	and stay at the current 400MHz speed?

	I kep track on the load on my main server, and it is rarely above
	0.20.  If the load is a poor metric of power use, what is
	better?  (My new `Watt-o-Meter' is checking the power right now,
	but I would like to know what drink the most juice: disk,RAM,
	processor, OpSys?  Number of hit/hours? I want my upgrades to
	be as cost-effective as possible, in other words.

	thanks in advance,

	gary