Periodic scripts running twice

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Tue Aug 5 09:41:40 UTC 2008

RW wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 13:21:36 -0500
> CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> For a while, I've noticed odd behavior with periodic scripts
>> installed by certain ports (portaudit) as well as ones I've penned
>> myself (corescan), in that they appear to be run twice in succession
>> every time.
>>
>> Base system scripts, and some add-on scripts (freshclam) are run only
>> once, even in the same periodic batch.
>>
>> Is there some end state the script is expected to be in to signal
>> periodic of a successful run?
>>
>> (Incl: Sample email, weekly.txt)
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Is this a long-standing problem? It sounds like you
> didn't fully complete the UPDATING instruction for the 20070519 xorg
> update, and /usr/local/etc/periodic is being access both directly
> and via the /usr/X11R6 symlink.
 >
> Try adding local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"
> to /etc/periodic.conf

The box in question doesn't even have X, as it's a headless server in a
colo someplace. It's been this way since I installed the periodic
scripts. I have no idea what that symlink is even doing there, unless
'make distdirs distribution' creates it now.

Either way, I've added the local_periodic directive to
/etc/periodic.conf. We'll see what happens when periodic runs tonight.
Thanks!

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo