buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, shutdow now, fsck -p -- NO WRITE ACCESS

email email at guice.ath.cx
Mon Aug 4 23:17:01 UTC 2008

Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 04:00:56PM -0400, freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
>
>> I do not code in any way.  With that being said, should you be able to
>> help please do so with the knowledge that I can not code.  I'm following
>> the freebsd handbook when the following occurs.
>>
>> -- separate fresh 'dangerously dedicated' installs of both 7.0 and
>> 6.3-RELEASE on the same machine, yield the following:
>> In multi-user mode make buildworld, buildkernel and installkernel.
>> Shutdown now
>>

> This will only drop you to single user mode with all filesystems still
> mounted. It is not a good idea to run fsck on a mounted filesystem...
>
> Instead, you need to run
>
> # shutdown -r now
>
> to REBOOT the machine with the newly installed kernel. At the loader
> menu, press `4' to boot into single user mode (at this point, only /
> will be mounted, so your `fsck -p' should work just fine).
>
> Now procede with the next steps...
>

>> -- fsck -p
>> /dev/ad4s1a: NO WRITE ACCESS
>> /dev/ad4s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>>
>> This happens each and everytime no matter if I install from iso -or- ftp
>> (passive). After numerous attempts the only way to get past this is
>> 'fsck -y'. Could the fbsd handbook section I'm following need updating
>> or is there another issue taking place here?
>>

> I think you're getting confused by the instructions (don't have a browser
> to hand so can't check the handbook, so apologies if this isn't the case).
> IIRC, the handbook suggests you drop to single user BEFORE you begin, in
> order to ensure nothing else is running while you run the build. In my
> experience, this has not been necessary. Even still, after the installkernel
> you MUST reboot the newly installed kernel before you continue.
>
> HTH
>
> Dan

I thank you.  In addition, I am quite sure the command we are referred
to in "23.4.5 Drop to Single User Mode" is in fact 'shutdown now' and
not 'shutdown -r now'.  I thank you for your response as I am going to
redo this procedure as you described.  If you don't mind I'll follow-up
with you and/or conclude this thread with the results.