creating package repository for offline installation

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Mon Aug 4 16:16:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 August 2008 14:34:45 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> If you don't mind building the packages (on the remote system) from
> ports, I would suggest ports-mgmt/tinderbox
> Comprehensive instructions are located here:
> http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/ I've used it for quite some time
> (http://www.freebsdgr.org/tinderbox/) but lately I've dedicated a
> machine for package building and I am using a couple of my own simple
> scripts.

I really don't care about the latest and shiniest programs.
So, I do mind building from ports. I just want to download
20-30 packages along with their dependecies.

I think I've found a relatively cheap way to do just that,
I am going to use unionfs to create a "replica" of my system,
mount an empty fs on $JAIL/var/db/pkg, fire up "jail $JAIL"
and pkg_add -Kr $everything_i_want in there.

//a few of minutes later

Yet to my big surprise(and disappointment) pkg_add -Kr
does not keep the dependencies, but only the requested
file e.g. pkg_add -rK bash, downloads all depedencies,
installs bash and deletes all packages but bash. Not
much of a progress...