building only part of the world

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 10:00:31 UTC 2008

perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> How would I go about building, not the entire world, but only
> a small part of it?
>
> If I just cd to the desired subdirectory and type "make -n"
> -- intending to find out what it would try to do -- I get a
> warning about not having changed the object directory.
>
> I suppose I'm supposed to type something along the lines of
>
>   make -n OBJ=<something>
>
> but what should I be setting OBJ to?  An attempt to find(1)
> some of the expected output files, so as to discover where
> they are conventionally located, found nothing.

The usual command sequence for building in parts of the source tree
is:

   # cd /usr/src/some/where
   # make obj
   # make depend
   # make
   # make install

This will suppress the warnings.

Compiling part of the system sources is supported.  It's routinely
described in many security advisories.  See for instance section (2)
'To patch your present system' in

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-08:06.bind.asc

You'll find the output somewhere under /usr/obj

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW