GEOM + mount_msdosfs usb flash stick

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 4 06:46:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:12:09 +0800, "joeb" <joeb at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> When I plug the stick into my FBSD 7.0 box I get Geom console msg
> 'GEOM_LABEL:Label for provider Da0s1 is msdosfs_flashdrive'.
> Does this mean the flash stick is mounted and the mount point is
> msdosfs_flashdrive'?

I don't think so, but you can check it with

	% mount -v

if anything has been mounted.

> When is issue this command,  mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt  I get this
> console msg  ' GEOM get label removed'.  Using the /mnt mount point every
> thing works fine.

Manual mount seems to have higher priority. Refer to /etc/fstab
to define "standard" mount points if you like, for example:

	/dev/fd0        /media/floppy           msdosfs rw,noauto       0       0
	/dev/acd0       /media/cdrom            cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
	/dev/acd0       /media/dvd              cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
	/dev/acd1       /media/writer           cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
	/dev/cd0        /media/pcd              cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
	/dev/da0        /media/pd               ufs     rw,noauto,noatime 0     0
	/dev/da1        /media/jaz              ufs     rw,noauto       0       0
	/dev/da2s1      /media/stick            msdosfs rw,noauto,noatime 0     0
	/dev/da2        /media/cam              msdosfs rw,noauto,noatime 0     0
	/dev/da3s1      /media/card             msdosfs rw,noauto,noatime 0     0

> What is GEOM doing form me in 7.0?

As far as I do understand, GEOM provides these messages to allow
some kind of auto-mounting service (usually coming with KDE or
Gnome) to take some "title" of the media (data carrier identifier)
to create the mount point; I saw something similar with PC-BSD
when CDs, DVDs or USB sticks had been inserted, the mountpoint
was something like /media/The Title of The Disc (including the
ugly whitespaces) or /media/USB0001. Or, as your example seems
to show, the label is a combination of the type of the media and
the filesystem it uses...

If you don't run any of these automounters, the messages don't
seem to hava any effect. But I'm not sure, I've never seen them
on my 7.x system...

Maybe "man geom" will tell you more.

--
Polytropon